Web Site – www.humilityofmary.org
Name of the Congregation/Founders/arrival in diocese:
The Sisters of the Humility of Mary were founded in Dommartin-sous-Amance, France in 1854 by Mother Madelaine (Marie-Antoinette) Potier and Father John Joseph Begel. The entire community and four orphans emigrated to the United States and the Diocese of Cleveland in 1864 at the invitation of Bishop Amadeus Rappe. Mother Anna Tabourat is recognized as the American foundress. Mother Madelaine had died in France prior to their departure.
We share in Jesus’ mission of bringing more abundant life to God’s people, especially to those who are poor, by announcing the liberating message of the gospel and by the witness of our lives. Our charism is the humility of Mary, marked by a joyful spirit of simplicity and faith and a commitment to respond to God’s call as we hear it in the needs of our times.
Ministries of the congregation
We build on a long history as educators, pastoral ministers, and health care and social service providers and continue to share the life-giving message of Jesus in those ministries. HM sponsored ministries include Magnificat High School, Rocky River, Villa Montessori Center in Cleveland, Humility of Mary Housing, Inc, Villa Maria Education and Spirituality Center and Villa Maria Residential Services in Villa Maria, PA. We co-endorse St. Martin de Porres High School in Cleveland with the Jesuits.
Other ministries include but are not limited to the Collaborative to End Human Trafficking and the Dorothy Day House of Hospitality in Youngstown. Sisters are also engaged in advocacy for social justice and environmental issues, counseling, spiritual direction and retreat work.
Location of sisters
HM Sisters currently serve in several locations in Northeast Ohio, including Cleveland, Akron, Canton, and Youngstown. They are also found in Florida, Kentucky, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia and Haiti.
The mother house is located in Villa Maria, Pennsylvania, about 10 miles east of Youngstown. This is the land on which the sisters originally made their home in 1864. Their deep connection to the land has shaped their faith and spirituality and has rooted in them a sense of care for the whole Earth community.